Thaddeus DeWitt Seeley
THADDEUS DEWITT SEELEY, the son of George H. and Sarah (Prall) Seeley, was born on what is now a part of the Pontiac State Hospital Farm, in the city of Pontiac, on August 26, 1867. At the age of four years he removed with his parents into Waterford township, and there in due time began his education in the district schools of the community, followed by a course in the Pontiac high school.
In 1888 Mr. Seeley married and moved to Bay City, Michigan, where he was engaged in operating a large dairy farm and in raising pure bred Holstein cattle. After five years of residence at this point he returned to Oakland county, where he lived for a year in the township of Groveland and then removed to Bloomfield township on the east branch of Long Lake, three miles south of Pontiac, and here he resided for fourteen years. During this time he was engaged in farming and in the extensive handling of live stock. In 1908 Mr. Seeley sold his farm in Bloomfield township and removed to Pontiac, here engaging in the hardware business with R. D. Tobin and continuing in that association for two years, since which time he has given practically his entire attention to the care of his real estate interests in Oakland county, which have assumed generous proportions with the passing years.
Mr. Seeley has always been a member of the Republican party and has on a number of occasions been honored by that party in his election to important 'offices. In 1900 he was elected a member of the House of Representatives from the First District of Oakland county, and succeeded himself in the office in 1902. In 1904 he was the choice of the people for state senator from the Twelfth Senatorial District, then comprising the counties of Oakland and Macomb. He was returned to the senate in 1906, and it is a noteworthy fact that the eight years of legislative service thus rendered is the longest service ever given by a citizen of Oakland county.
In his career as representative and senator Mr. Seeley at all times gave the most praiseworthy service to his district, and occupied various positions of importance in the legislative bodies. In the session of 1907 he was chairman of the Senate Railroad Committee, and it was this committee that shaped much of the important legislation of that session, including the Railroad Commission Act and the Two Cent Fare law. In 1910 he was a member of the Charter Revision Committee which drafted the new city charter, giving to Pontiac the commission form of government.
Mr. Seeley is a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He was district deputy for Eastern Michigan in the latter order in 1911, and its representative to the Grand Lodge of the order at Portland, Oregon, in 1912.
In 1888 Mr. Seeley was united in marriage with Eva M., daughter of Samuel A. and Mary (Kimball) Palmer. They are the parents of three children: Florence L., principal of high school at Orion, Michigan; Mable J., at home ; George Palmer, at home.
Pages 904-905, “History of Oakland County, Michigan,” Volume II, editor Thaddeus D. Seeley, The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago and New York, 1912
[Great-grandson of William Pease Seeley SGS # 1963 –Thaddeus D.; George H., Ira C., William Pease (SGS # 1963), John, Hezekiah; Nathaniel; Nathaniel; Nathaniel; Nathaniel; Robert]